Thursday, June 26, 2014

Playing with Color and Fabrics



Sisters in Cloth spent a lovely Saturday (June 14) at Laura Lyon's house in Madison, CT. We worked on dying, bleaching and painting cloth. It was a great time in the sun on a nice warm day. We each made some exciting work.



Bleaching - I bleached two different pieces of black material. The first piece made gray marks and second piece made orange marks on the cloth (see photo below). A big thank you for David for sharing his pottery tools with me to stamp the cloth and Diane for sharing her black material.




Dharma silk scarf, sharpie markers and rubbing alcohol (81%) was really fun and easy. I did one and took my other scarves home to do at a later date and time. You need a silk scarf, sharpie markers, decorate your scarf with the sharpie marks. Then use an eye dropper with rubbing alcohol and follow your lines. This will allow the color to run. You can go back and add more color if you are not totally happy with your first go around when making this piece. I actually wore my scarf to work yesterday!



The dying that I chose to do was with ice and I had four different pieces of cloth in the bucket. Thank you to Carol (below with the blue shirt) for sharing her knowledge, patience and especially her supplies.  In addition, to having a bucket full of cloth, I came home and did more. The picture with all the cloth on the ground is from my backyard!






It was a really fun day learning new techniques.










No comments:

Post a Comment